RESPONSE: Nurturing entrepreneurial thinking

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Thu Apr 17 17:35:32 CEST 2008

From: a.r.anderson at rgu.ac.uk [mailto:a.r.anderson at rgu.ac.uk]
Date: Tue 17. April 2008 16:18

Dear doctoral student

I feel that what you have described is far too vague to be a viable PhD.
You will need to be much more specific about what you want to
investigate. For example, "the environment" can mean just about
anything; worse, even if you can reduce it some specific things (
perhaps advice or attitudes) how could you separate that, or its
effects, out from all the other factors? Even your notion of
entrepreneurial thinking is difficult to pin down. You seem to suggest
that it follows some sort of linear path; idea to formal plan; but I
suspect that is very artificial!
Much more likely to be more chaotic and at the least iterative.

If you simply survey students to ask them, assuming my criticism of your
contexts is wrong, you may finish up with some sort of trivial response
that has little explanatory power. So why not look at something more
tangible, and doable? Perhaps comparative cases in  and out of an
incubator, or just somewhere you can compare those influenced by the
institutions and those that are not?  So your research question might
become, what do polytechnics do to nurture enterprise? Nonetheless you
will need to think hard about what sort of  data you need and what sort
of theoretical framework would guide your work.

Alistair R Anderson