CFP: Entrepreneurship and Growth (World Bank Conference)

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Fri Feb 6 10:05:16 CET 2009

CALL FOR PAPERS
CONFERENCE ON ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND GROWTH
November 19-20, 2009
World Bank, Washington DC
Jointly sponsored by the World Bank Group and the Kauffman Foundation

OVERVIEW:

Entrepreneurship is important for the continued dynamism of the modern
economy and economic growth. The aim of this conference is to explore
government regulations and reforms, private sector initiatives, and
financial sector developments that affect the creation of new firms, the
average size of firms, and the dynamism of incumbent firms. The
conference will give priority to papers that further our understanding
of the factors that contribute to greater high-growth entrepreneurship
and formal sector participation. We are also interested in papers using
"experimental" field work to study the impact of reforms on firm entry,
performance, and survival. While submissions from a wide range of
perspectives and topics are welcome, we specifically invite papers on
the following:

* The causal effects of institutional, regulatory, and fiscal reforms on
entrepreneurial activity;
* The impact of reforms to encourage greater transitioning from the
informal to the formal sector and the impact of formal sector
registration on firm borrowing and growth;
* The effects of financial, operational, and management constraints on
entrepreneurship and policies that help alleviate these constraints;
* The role of entrepreneurship in economic growth and development.
* The impact of the recent financial crisis on new business creation.

SUBMISSION DETAILS:
Paper Submission Deadline: June 1, 2009
Decision on acceptance: August 1, 2009

Economy class travel expenses and lodging for one presenter for each
paper will be reimbursed by the organizing institutions.

Preference is given to completed papers, although in exceptional
circumstances work in progress will be considered.

Please submit papers electronically (in either a .pdf or Word file) to
Mani Jandu at:
mjandu at worldbank.org

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE:
Leora Klapper, World Bank
Asli Demirguc-Kunt, World Bank
Ray Fisman, Columbia University
Inessa Love, World Bank
Antoinette Schoar, MIT
Robert Strom, Kauffman Foundation
Chris Woodruff, UC San Diego

FURTHER INFORMATION:
For further information please contact:
Leora Klapper
Senior Economist, Development Research Group
World Bank
Email: lklapper at worldbank.org

More information on the World Bank Group Entrepreneurship Project is
available at:
http://econ.worldbank.org/research/entrepreneurship.