CFP: Soci(et)al Entrepreneurship Conference

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Thu Sep 20 13:30:00 CEST 2007

SEC - Soci(et)al Entrepreneurship Conference
April 7-9 2008
CIMO, Center for Entrepreneurship VU University Amsterdam
Call for Papers and Invited Conference
Deadline: 1 Jan 2008

More and more (entrepreneurship) researchers recognize that entrepreneurship is a societal as well as an economic and business phenomenon (cf. the special issue of the International Journal of Entrepreneurship Education (2004) and the Journal of World Business (2006)). Through the Soci(et)al Entrepreneurship Conference we propose – in line with Steyaert’s and Hjorth’s call in the third ‘Movement of Entrepreneurship’ book Entrepreneurship as Social Change (2006) – to combine ‘the societal’ and ‘the social’ where ‘the social’ is connected with contributing to – commercially profitably – solving problems of society, such as welfare, and sustainability issues whereas ‘the societal’ refers to linking entrepreneurship to its societal context and community. We expect the outcomes of this conference to be 1) the refinement of theoretical concepts and scholarly ideas regarding this area of research, 2) the establishment of a research network for thought leadership and knowledge generation in social entrepreneurship, and 3) the planning of future scholarly activities. Our convening should be a step toward securing creative partnerships and cross-national research projects that will broaden our understanding of this important phenomenon.

We aim to bring together some of the key academics in this field to present their ideas, frameworks and theoretical developments. The best papers will be selected for publication in an international book on soci(et)al entrepreneurship to be published in 2009. By bringing together a relatively small group we seek to ensure a thorough exchange of ideas.

We are seeking both empirical and conceptual/theoretical papers and encourage submissions that apply different perspectives and theoretical lenses. In alignment with the objectives of the conference, we have formulated four major themes:
- Conceptual work on soci(et)al entrepreneurship
- Both empirical and conceptual work on the nature of social opportunities (opportunities contributing to solving social problems)
- Empirical work on emerging (socially) innovative business models
- Empirical work on: what are the sites and spaces (communities) in which entrepreneurship takes place and how do they relate to the activities taking place?

Deadlines
Interested parties should submit extended abstracts (1500 words) by January 1st, 2008 via e-mail to sec at cimo.vu.nl. These abstracts will be subjected to a double blind review process after which the best 20 to 25 contributions will be selected for presentation at the conference. Participants will be informed about acceptance by February 1st, 2008. Full papers are due by March 15, 2008. The best 10 – 12 papers presented at the conference will be included in an international volume on soci(et)al entrepreneurship to be published in 2009. The conference fee is set at €200, including conference diner. For more information about the conference, contact us via e-mail at sec at cimo.vu.nl.

More info at http://www.ecsb.org/doc/SEC%20Soci(et)al%20Entrepreneurship%20Conference.pdf