MULTIPLE RESPONSES (4): Social entrepreneurship curiculum

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Mon Feb 16 17:30:18 CET 2009

-----------1---------------

From: Debbi D. Brock [mailto:Debbi_Brock at berea.edu]
Date: Fri 13 Feb 2009 16:09

Hi Roderick,

A similar email thread came through last fall and Forster, Florian [Florian.Forster at whu.edu] setup a blog / webpage where we can collect information on SE - www.social-entrepreneur.net<http://www.social-entrepreneur.net> is up, but still blank.  Below is an email that I sent out to the Academy of Management entrepreneurship listserv a few months ago.  It should guide you in the right direction.  For samples of syllabi, the University Network has a good number posted.  Good luck!

Check out the Social Entrepreneurship Teaching Resources Handbook on the University Network for Social Entrepreneurship website www.universitynetwork.org/handbook for faculty interested in teaching and researching in the field.  The 96 page handbook includes social entrepreneurship programs, majors and minors, the top cases in social entrepreneurship (based on feedback from faculty on the University Network Advisory council), core readings bibliography compiled by Alex Nicholls from the Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship at the University of Oxford (there are over 800+ articles being assigned in social entrepreneurship courses to choose from, multimedia classroom resources, books, social entrepreneur organizations, business plan competitions, networks and conferences.  The global directory of faculty teaching and researching in the field compiled by the team at Ashoka will give you resources of faculty to contact. The website has a host of information on social entrepreneurship and Ashoka is working on updating the website to be user friendly.

My personal favorite resources for faculty new to the field include the academic textbook edited by Alex Social Entrepreneurship: New Models of Sustainable Change, a review of the Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE) at Duke University comprehensive website which includes solid research on where the field is heading, www.fuqua.duke.edu/centers/case, the founder of Appalachian by Design Diane Browning, Barbara Lynch and I published a case on Appalachian By Design: Lessons on Creating Social Value in the Social Enterprise Journal if you want a great example of a case that students have to wrestling with the social mission and the economic reality of the nonprofit enterprise.  Send me an email if you want to see the case and comprehensive teaching notes and epilogue.

If anyone wants to update their course syllabi for our continued research on social entrepreneurship courses, please email it to me at debbi.brock at gmail.com.

Regards,

Debbi