REQUEST: Some input required on operationalizations of entrepreneurial constucts

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Tue Oct 21 09:07:33 CEST 2008

From: Singh, Luv [mailto:Luv.Singh at whu.edu]
Date: Mon 20 Oct 2008 20:19

Dear fellow Entrpreneurship PhD students,

I am currently setting up a model for my research around nascent
ventures and would greatly appreciate some input on suggested
operationalization for following "constructs" - best with some recent
literature link of course, since I have not found anything "established"
for those:

*       Initial capital before venture start: % of covered financial
need for 6 or 12 months after full start of operations, appropriate? Any
other ideas?
*       Perceived accessibility of external funds (through VCs, Angels,
Corporations)
*       Nascent phase: see Davidsson/Honig 2003 - The role of social and
human capital among nascent entrepreneurs, any other ideas?
*       Entrepreneurial education: see Davidsson/Honig 2003 # Special
courses taken (legal, procedural, marketing, strategy, ...), any other
ideas?
*       Team cohesion: any possibility to measure it, if only the
founder is taking the survey
*       Degree of technology relevance for venture: Industry as dummy?

Thank you for your help!
L.S.

Davidsson, P.; Honig, B. (2003), The role of social and human capital
among nascent entrepreneurs; Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 18 (3),
pp. 301-331