RESPONSE: Impact of entrepreneurship on social development

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Tue Apr 29 14:11:21 MESZ 2008

From: Debbi D. Brock [mailto:Debbi_Brock at berea.edu]
Date: Mon 28. April 2008 18:02

Attached is the 2007 core publications in social entrepreneurship that
Alex Nichols completed in 2007.  The 2008 version is in the Social
Entrepreneurship Teaching Resources Handbook.  Let me know if I can help
further.

Debbi

------------------------

SELECTED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP

Prepared by Alex Nicholls
Skoll Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, University of Oxford

Aeron-Thomas, D., Nicholls, J., Forster, S., and Westall, A. (2003),
Social Return on Investment: Miracle or Manacle? London: New Economics
Foundation

Alter, K., Shoemaker, P., Tuan, M., and Emerson, J. (2001), When is it
Time to Say Goodbye? Exit Strategies and Venture Philanthropy Funds,
California: Virtue Ventures

Alvord, S., Brown, L, Letts, C. (2004), 'Social Entrepreneurship and
Societal Transformation: an Exploratory Study', Journal of Applied
Behavioral Science, 40.3, pp.260-83

Amin A., Cameron A., and Hudson R. (2002), Placing the Social Economy,
London: Routledge
Austin, J. (2000) The Collaboration Challenge: How Non-Profits and
Businesses Succeed Through Strategic Alliances, San Francisco:
Jossey-Bass

Austin, J., Reficco, E., Berger, G., Fischer, R., Gutierrez, R.,
Koljatic, M., Lozano, G., and Ogliastri, E. (2004), Social Partnering in
Latin America: Lessons Drawn from Collaborations of Businesses and Civil
Society Organizations, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press

Bernholz, L. (2004), Creating Philanthropic Capital Markets, Hoboken:
John Wiley

Bornstein, D. (2004), How To Change The World: Social Entrepreneurs and
the Power of New Ideas, Oxford: Oxford University Press

Borzaga, C. and Defourny, J. (2001), The Emergence of Social Enterprise,
New York: Routledge

Bradach, J. (2003), 'Going to Scale', Stanford Social Innovation Review,
Spring, pp.19-25

Bradley, B., Jansen, P., and Silverman, L. (2003), 'The Nonprofit
Sector's $100 Billion Opportunity', Harvard Business Review, May, pp.
3-11

Collins, J. (2005), Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to
Accompany Good to Great, New York: Harper Collins

Dart, R. (2004), 'The Legitimacy of Social Enterprise', Nonprofit
Management and Leadership, 14.4, p.411-24

Davis, L., Etchart, N., Jara, M., and Milder, B. (2003), Risky Business:
The Impacts of Merging Mission and Market, NESsT, Santiago, Chile

Dees, J.G. (1994), Social Enterprise: Private Initiatives for Common
Good, Harvard: Harvard Business School Press

Dees, J.G., (1996), The Social Enterprise Spectrum: from Philanthropy to
Commerce, Harvard: Harvard Business School Press

Dees, J.G. (1998a), The Meaning of Social Entrepreneurship. Available
at: http://faculty.fuqua.duke.edu/centers/case/files/dees-SE.pdf

Dees, J.G. (1998b), 'Enterprising Nonprofits', Harvard Business Review,
January-February, 76.1, pp.54-67

Dees, J.G. (2003), Social Entrepreneurship Is about Innovation and
Impact, Not Income, discussion paper on Social Edge. Available at:
http://skoll.socialedge.org/?293@218.2JjfaI3NaTC.0@.1ad86d9e

Dees, J.G., and Battle Anderson, B. (2002), 'Blurring Sector Boundaries:
Serving Social Purposes Through For-Profit Structures', CASE Working
Paper Series, 2. Duke Fuqua School

Dees, J., and Battle Anderson, B. (2003), 'For-Profit Social Ventures'
in Kourilsky, M., and Walstad, W. (eds.) International Journal of
Entrepreneurship Education: Special Edition: Social Entrepreneurship,
pp. 1-26, Senate Hall

Dees, J.G., Battle Anderson, B., Wei-Skillern, J. (2004), 'Scaling
Social Impact', Stanford Social Innovation Review, Spring, pp.24-32

Dees, J.G., and Dolby, A. (1991), Sources of Financing for New Nonprofit
Ventures, Harvard: Harvard Business School, HBS 9-391-097 (revised 1996
by Elias, J.)

Dees, J.G. and Elias, J. (1998) 'The Challenges of Combining Social and
Commercial Enterprise', an essay on Norman Bowie's University-Business
Partnerships: an Assessment, Business Ethics Quarterly, 8.1, pp.1-17

Dees, J.G., Emerson, J. and Economy, P. (2001), Enterprising
Non-Profits: A Toolkit for Social Entrepreneurs, New York: Wiley
Non-Profit Series

Dees, J.G., Emerson, J. and Economy, P. (2002), Strategic Tools for
Social Entrepreneurs: Enhancing the Performance of Your Enterprising
Non-Profit, New York: Wiley Non-Profit Series

DiMaggio, P., and Anheier, H. (1990), 'The Sociology of Nonprofit
Organizations and Sectors', Annual Review of Sociology, 16, pp.137-59

Drayton, W., (2002), 'The Citizen Sector: Becoming as Entrepreneurial
and Competitive as Business', California Management Review, 44.3,
pp.120-132

Drayton, W. (2005), 'Where the Real Power Lies', Alliance, 10.1,
pp.29-30

Edwards, M. (2004), Civil Society, Cambridge: Polity Press

Eikenberry, A., and Kluver, J. (2004), 'The Marketization of the
Nonprofit Sector: Civil Society at Risk?', Public Administration Review,
64.2, pp.132-40

Emerson, J., (2003a) 'The Blended Value Proposition: Integrating Social
and Financial Returns', California Management Review, 45.4, pp.35-51

Emerson, J., (2003c), 'Where Money Meets Mission: Breaking Down the
Firewall Between Foundation Investments and Programming', Stanford
Social Innovation Review, Summer, pp. 38-47

Emerson, J., and Freundlich, T. (2007), Nothing Ventured, Skoll Centre
Working Paper

Foster, W., and Bradach, J. (2005), 'Should Nonprofits Seek Profits?',
Harvard Business Review, February, pp.92-100

Harding, R. (2004), 'Social Enterprise: the New economic Engine?',
Business Strategy Review, 15.4, pp. 39-43

Harding, R., and Cowling, M. (2006), Social Entrepreneurship Monitor:
United Kingdom 2006. London: Global Entrepreneurship Monitor

Leadbeater, C. (1997), The Rise of the Social Entrepreneur, London:
Demos

LeGrand, J., and Bartlett, W. (eds.) (1993), Quasi-Markets and Social
Policy, Palgrave Macmillan

Letts, C., and Ryan, W., and Grossman, A., (1997), 'Virtuous Capital:
What Foundations Can Learn From Venture Capital', Harvard Business
Review, March-April, pp.36-44

Mair, J., Seelos, C., and Borwankar, A. (2004), 'Social Entrepreneurial
Initiatives Within the Sustainable Development Landscape', International
Journal of Entrepreneurship Education, 2.4, pp.1-14

Mair, J., and Seelos, C. (2005), 'Social Entrepreneurship: Creating New
Business Models to Serve the Poor', Business Horizons, 48.3, May-June,
pp. 241-6

Mair, J., Robinson, J., and Hockerts, K. (2006), Social
Entrepreneurship, Palgrave MacMillan

Mosher-Williams, R. (2007), Research on Social Entrepreneurship:
Understanding and Contributing to an Emerging Field, ARNOVA

Mulgan. G. (2006), Social Innovation, The Young Foundation

Nicholls, A. (2004), 'Social Entrepreneurship: The Emerging Landscape'
in Crainer, S., and Dearlove, D. (eds), Financial Times Handbook of
Management (Third Edition), pp.636-43, Harlow: FT Prentice Hall

Nicholls A (2006), 'Social Entrepreneurship' in Jones-Evans, D., and
Carter, S. (eds.), Enterprise and Small Business: Principles, Practice
and Policy (Second Edition), (forthcoming), Harlow: FT Prentice Hall

Nicholls, A. (ed) (2006), Social Entrepreneurship: New Models of
Sustainable Social Change, Oxford University Press

Nicholls, A., and Pharoah, C. (2007), The Landscape of Social Finance,
Skoll Centre Working Paper

Nicholls, J. (2004), Social Return on Investment: Valuing What Matters,
London: New Economics Foundation

Nyssens, M. (ed), Social Enterprise, Routledge

Paton, R. (2003), Managing and Measuring Social Enterprises, London:
Sage

Perrini, F. (2007),  The New Social Entrepreneurship, Edward Elgars

Powell, W. (ed) (1987), The Nonprofit Sector: A Research Handbook, Yale
University

Salamon, L., and Anheier, H. (1999), The Emerging Sector Revisited,
Baltimore: John Hopkins University

Seelos, C., and Mair, J. (2005), 'Social entrepreneurship: creating new
business models to serve the poor', Business Horizons, 48, pp.241-46

Spear, R., and Bidet, E. (2003), The Role of Social Enterprise in
European Labour Markets, EMES Working Papers Series 3/10

Sullivan Mort G., Weerawardena J., and Carnegie K. (2003), 'Social
entrepreneurship: Towards conceptualisation', International Journal of
Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 8.1, pp.76-88

Thekaekara. S., and Thekaekara, M. (2007), Social Justice and Social
Entrepreneurship, Skoll Centre Working Papers

Thompson, J., Alvy, G., and Lees, A. (2000), 'Social Entrepreneurship -
a New Look at the People and the Potential', Management Decision, 38.5,
pp.328-38

Thompson, J. (2002), 'The World of the Social Entrepreneur',
International Journal of Public Sector Management, 15.5, pp.412-31

Tracey, P., and Jarvis (2006), 'An Enterprising Failure: Why a Promising
Social Franchise Collapsed', Stanford Social Innovation Review, Spring

Weisbrod, B., (2004), 'Pitfalls of Profit', Stanford Social Innovation
Review, Winter, pp.40-7