ANNOUNCE: GT PhD Program in strategy and entrepreneurship

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Tue Oct 17 09:17:12 CEST 2006

From: Rothaermel, Frank T
Date: Tue 12 Oct 2006 13:49

Commensurately with the increase in our strategy and entrepreneurship
faculty, we are growing our Ph.D. program, providing focus in the areas
of technology and innovation management, entrepreneurship, and
international management.  I would, therefore, very much appreciate you
sharing the attached information flyer with any interested students.
Thank you very much for your support.

Kind regards,

Frank

Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Strategic Management
The Strategic Management area at Georgia Tech's College of Management
(COM)
seeks Qualified Applicants for their Ph.D. program

Have you ever thought about getting a Ph.D.?  A doctoral degree
qualifies you to pursue an academic career as a researcher and educator.
An academic career provides not only tremendous intellectual freedom,
but makes it possible to work with bright people throughout your life.
You really can make a difference through the scholarly research you
create, and the lives you shape through your teaching.  The life style
is great, and the pay is good!  Frequently, Ph.D. graduates' starting
salary range from $90K to $150K, depending on placement, which is
largely determined by performance in the doctoral program.  Moreover,
the job market for Strategy Ph.D.s has been strong, and in recent years
more positions have been available than candidates pursuing jobs.  Thus,
it is not surprising that the position of a university professor is
frequently ranked as one of the most desirable jobs in the world.

Why in Strategic Management?   As the integrative discipline in business
management, strategy is both interesting and fun.  The unifying element
of strategy research is driven by answering the question of why do some
firms outperform their competitors? To answer this critical question,
researchers draw on different disciplines, such as economics and
sociology, to study the critical roles that managers, technologies, and
business relationships play in determining why some companies do better
than others.

Why at Georgia Tech?  GT's Ph.D. program is strongly research oriented,
and emphasizes the early involvement of our students in research
projects with world-wide leading faculty. The Ph.D. program places
significant weight on learning outside the classroom. Given the small
size of the program, the tutorial-mentor model is the primary
educational approach employed.   Thus, doctoral students experience
significant attention and support by a diverse set of world-class
faculty.

At Georgia Tech, the study of strategic management is interdisciplinary
and integrative; providing focus in the areas of technology and
innovation management, entrepreneurship, and international management.
The Strategic Management area represents a strong community of active
researchers pursuing a wide variety of interests.  See
http://mgt.gatech.edu/fac_research/acad_areas/stg_mgt.html for more
information.

Here is what some current Ph.D. students have to say about Georgia
Tech's Ph.D. program in strategic management:
*	I wanted to study strategy because I believe differential firm
performance is vital to understand in a rapidly changing business
environment.  It also brings together my interest in cross disciplinary
viewpoints and international perspectives to resolve tangible issues for
today's businesses both large and small.
*	I selected the Georgia Tech Ph.D. program in Strategic
Management over several others because I found good synergy between my
research interests and those of the faculty in the program here.  The
strategy faculty has a strong commitment to fields such as innovation,
high technology, international issues and entrepreneurship.  The
multi-disciplinary approach is encouraged through a variety of classroom
settings and research activities.
*	The program in strategy is has a strong research emphasis in
innovation, which is unique among all the top management Ph.D. programs.
After spending a year, I am impressed by the academic atmosphere here:
there is around-the-clock hard-work going on in every corner of this
brand-new building, but there is fun among us as we enjoy the life, and
there is frequent cooperation between faculty from different
departments, and there is a culture that encourages students and faculty
to work together.
*	Many new Ph.D. students are concerned about finding a faculty
member whose research interests overlap with their own.  I have found
that at Georgia Tech, this concern is mitigated both by the faculty's
breadth of research interests and willingness to help young researchers.

*	The Georgia Tech Ph.D. program has encouraged my intellectual
growth and provided a challenging environment in which to learn how to
be a successful faculty member at a top-level research university.
*	There exists a rare balance in the Ph.D. program at Georgia Tech
between allowing young researchers the freedom to explore their own
interests and giving them the guidance to create exemplary research.
*	Faculty are very supportive in developing each student's
research ability.
*	At the end of my 3rd year, I am confident I have made a good
choice for my doctoral study.  The research active faculty are
approachable and willing to work on joint projects with Ph.D. students.
I have already had several opportunities to present papers at academic
conferences both domestically and abroad.

The COM at Georgia Tech is the home of an NSF Integrative Graduate
Education and Research Training program, Technological Innovation:
Generating Economic Results (TI:GER, see http://tiger.gatech.edu/), as
well as a US Department of Education funded Center for International
Business Education and Research (CIBER, see
http://www.ciber.gatech.edu/).  Additional information about Georgia
Tech's COM and its faculty is available at: http://mgt.gatech.edu/  The
Strategic Management area represents a strong community of active
researchers pursuing a diversity of interests (See
http://mgt.gatech.edu/fac_research/acad_areas/stg_mgt.html for more
information).  The strategy area at Georgia Tech hosts and co-sponsors
leading annual research conferences like the Roundtable for Engineering
Entrepreneurship Research (REER) and the Atlanta Competitive Advantage
Conference (ACAC), which provide an opportunity to mingle with
world-wide leading scholars in entrepreneurship and strategy.

How do I finance the program, and how do I apply?  If admitted to the
program, we'll pay you to go to school to get your degree!  Your tuition
will be waived, and you'll received a stipend, etc.  Application
deadline is January 15th for admission the following fall semester
(August 15th). All relevant financial information, including the
application package is online at
http://mgt.gatech.edu/programs/phd.html?link=left_info_for   The
strategy area will consider applicants that took either the GMAT or the
GRE.

Contact the strategy Ph.D. coordinator, Professor Frank T. Rothaermel at
frank.rothaermel at mgt.gatech.edu for any remaining questions.

More About Georgia Tech: Georgia Tech's College of Management is, when
considering all business schools, ranked 34th by U.S. News & World
Report and top 50 by Business Week, and top 25 in Forbes among public
schools.  The College of Management is housed in a new, state of the art
$55million facility, which is part of the $260 million building complex
of Technology Square in midtown Atlanta, in addition to Georgia Tech's
Business School, the GT Conference Center and Hotel, the Global Learning
Center, the Economic Development Institute, and the Advanced Technology
and Development Center (ADTC), one of the leading incubators in the
United States.

The Georgia Institute of Technology (http://www.gatech.edu
<http://www.gatech.edu/> ) is one of the nation's top research
universities, distinguished by its commitment to improving the human
condition through advanced science and technology.  Georgia Tech's
campus occupies 400 acres in the heart of the city of Atlanta, where
more than 16,000 undergraduate and graduate students receive a focused,
technologically based education.  Georgia Tech consistently ranks among
U.S. News & World Report's top ten public universities in the United
States.  In a world that increasingly turns to technology for solutions,
Georgia Tech is using innovative teaching and advanced research to
define the technological university of the 21st century.

About Atlanta: Atlanta, home to over 4 million people, is the 9th
largest metropolitan area in the US, and one of the fastest growing
cities.  It serves as cultural and economic hub of the southeastern
U.S., with world-class shopping, outstanding restaurants, and five
professional sports teams.  Compared to other large cities, Atlanta
offers a lower cost of living and excellent weather.  About 120,000
companies have operations here, and Atlanta is 3rd in the list of cities
with the most Fortune 500 Headquarters.  Atlanta is home to corporate
giants like Home Depot, Coca-Cola, CNN, Newell Rubbermaid, UPS,
Georgia-Pacific, Equifax, and Delta Air Lines.  Atlanta is one of the
top 10 places for business and careers (by Forbes) and one of the top 3
U.S. cities for entrepreneurs (Entrepreneur magazine and Dun &
Bradstreet).  Atlanta's international airport, the world's busiest,
makes Georgia Tech readily accessible to any part of the world - 80% of
the U.S. population is within a two-hour flight.  Atlanta is also one of
the top 5 U.S. cities for singles (by Forbes), one of the top 40 cities
for families (by Child.com), and the #1 city for African-Americans (by
Black Enterprise magazine).  For more information, see
www.atlanta.net/movinghere/index.asp.