CFP: Sixth International Critical Management Conference

entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de entrepreneurship-phd at lists.uni-due.de
Wed Sep 24 17:25:53 CEST 2008

CALL FOR PAPERS
Enterprising Cultures
CMS6:  Sixth International Critical Management Conference
Warwick Business School, University of Warwick, UK:  July 13-15, 2009

Stream Description: We seek in this stream to explore ways in which socio-cultural factors and political context influence entrepreneurial processes, identity and activity: how entrepreneurs and new enterprises 'become', instead of 'are' (Essers and Benschop, 2007). We aim to explore entrepreneurship in relation to power, resistance, identity and diversity and examine its role in maintaining or reclaiming of culture and community (Bryant, 1999; Paredo and Chrisman, 2006).

Globalisation is generating new shifts in the transnational operations of International businesses but also the movement of population groups across the world.  New enterprise development is a context-dependent process and can embrace social change in ways that move beyond commerce and economic growth alone (Czarniawska, 2003; Steyaert and Katz, 2004).  By inviting papers around the theme of Enterprising Cultures we aim to provide space for scholars to share critical perspectives in this growing field of contemporary interest.   We argue issues of power, the political economy of place and discursive constructions of culture require consideration in entrepreneurship studies. Discourses about the entrepreneur as personality 'type' favour stereotypical constructions of a 'heroic', charismatic, risk-taking, rugged masculinised individualism which underpins what it means to be enterprising (Chell, E. et al 1991; Marlow and Patton, 2000; Ogbor, 2000).

We seek papers from pluralist perspectives that reveal dimensions of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, religion, class, culture and geographic context.  We aim to explore  the rich diversity of motivations, purposes and meanings of entrepreneurship and  wide variation in ways people construct both themselves and the enterprising activities they engage in (Skeggs, 2004; Down and Reveley, 2004;).  Social and cultural factors play an essential role in defining not only the nature of the enterprise activity itself, but also in shaping governance and management arrangements (see for example: Anderson and Jack, 2002; Portes et al. 2002; Rehn and Talaas, 2004; Peredo, et al, 2004; Pio, 2005; Frederick and Foley, 2006; Lee-Ross and Mitchell, 2007; Bruton et al; 2008; Cahn, 2008; Banerjee and Tedmanson, 2007).

We welcome papers that reflect on issues of class, political economy, post-colonialism, gender, sexuality, development studies and Indigenous enterprise development and both practice based and theory presentations which address questions such as:

* How do 'mainstream' entrepreneurial discourses both constrain and enhance enterprising cultures?
*  How do the dynamics of power, gender, resistance, sexuality, identity, space, emotions, ethnicity - interplay to shape (or be shaped by) entrepreneurial activity?
* In what ways does culture shape entrepreneurial activity and/or its organizational form?
* Do emergent 'minority' enterprises generate new hybridities of cultural and social entrepreneuring in either developing or 'host' nation contexts?

We call for papers that address and/or explore the following themes:

* Socio-cultural dynamics of entrepreneurship
* Entrepreneurial 'identities': the entrepreneurial 'others'
* The political economy of local enterprise development
* Socio cultural factors in entrepreneurial activities
* Geographies of entrepreneurship
* Issues of:  gender, class, ethnicity, locality, Indigeneity, sexuality - in enterprise activity, organisation and management
* Critical reflections on management and power relations in enterprise development and/or entrepreneurship - including insights drawn from:
	o feminist theory;
	o postcolonial theory;
	o 'whiteness' theory;
	o cultural perspectives;
	o action research; narratives; story telling; discourse analysis or other innovative perspectives

Stream Convenors:

* Deirdre Tedmanson : deirdre.tedmanson at unisa.edu.au
+61 43 999 0889     University of South Australia
* Caroline Essers: c.essers at fm.ru.nl 	Radboud Uni Nijmegen
+31-24 3611740
* Lia Bryant:  lia.bryant at unisa.edu.au 	University of South Australia
+61 8 830 24363